Sponsoring a family member to obtain a Green Card and reside permanently in the United States is a major milestone. As a US citizen or permanent resident, you play a significant role in helping your loved ones start a new chapter in their lives. However, sponsorship entails certain responsibilities and requirements that you should be aware of.

Before embarking on this journey, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the eligibility criteria, sponsorship process, financial requirements, and other important aspects involved in family-based immigration. Understanding these aspects will not only help you navigate the process smoothly but also ensure that you provide the necessary support to your family member(s) as they transition to life in the United States.

person holding paper near pen and calculator

Key Takeaways

  • Familiarize yourself with the eligibility criteria and sponsorship process to ensure a smooth application.
  • Prepare to meet the financial requirements, primarily through submitting an Affidavit of Support.
  • Stay informed about common questions and concerns to address any uncertainties during the sponsorship journey.

Eligibility for Sponsorship

U.S. Citizens

As a U.S. citizen, you have the ability to sponsor certain family members for a Green Card, granting them the opportunity to live and work in the United States. The eligibility criteria include immediate relatives – your spouse, unmarried children under 21, and parents – as well as more distant relatives, such as siblings and married children. In order to sponsor a family member, you’ll need to file the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative with USCIS.

Meeting the financial requirements is crucial. You must have an annual income equal to or greater than the minimum income required for the size of your family, which varies depending on the number of relatives you’re sponsoring.

Permanent Residents

As a permanent resident (Green Card holder) in the United States, you also have the option to sponsor specific family members, albeit with certain restrictions. You’re eligible to sponsor your spouse and unmarried children, regardless of their age. Your family members may qualify under one or more Green Card eligibility categories.

Keep in mind that the financial requirements still apply. Make sure that your income meets the minimum annual income necessary for your family size, and be prepared to submit an Affidavit of Support.

Regardless of your citizenship status, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the procedures and requirements set by the USCIS and the INA. By ensuring you’re well-informed and providing accurate documentation, you’ll have a smoother sponsorship process for your loved ones.

checklist, goals, box

Sponsorship Process

Immigrant Visa and Green Card Application

When you sponsor a family member for an immigrant visa or green card, you need to start by submitting a Form I-130 with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for each person you wish to sponsor source. You can submit the form online or by mail. Once the form is approved, your relative will receive a priority date, which determines when their visa will become available.

Keep in mind that there are different types of family-based visas, and the process can take several months or years, depending on the preference category your family member falls under according to U.S. immigration law. During the application process, you and your relative must provide various documents to demonstrate your relationship, such as marriage or birth certificates, and meet all eligibility requirements.

Adjustment of Status

Once your relative’s priority date becomes current, they may be eligible to apply for Adjustment of Status if they are already in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa. This process allows your family member to transition from their current nonimmigrant status to that of a green card holder without having to leave the country. To do this, they must file a Form I-485 with USCIS source.

During the Adjustment of Status process, your relative may be required to go through an interview with a USCIS officer, who will ask questions about their relationship with you, their immigration history, and their criminal background, among other things. They must also submit various documents, including proof of their lawful entry into the U.S., like a valid nonimmigrant visa, and an Affidavit of Support provided by you.

Remember to stay patient and organized throughout the sponsorship process. Keep detailed records of all your communications with USCIS and ensure that both you and your relative understand the requirements for a successful outcome. Good luck in guiding your family member through the sponsorship process, and hopefully, they will soon hold a green card, joining you in the United States!

white printer paper beside white ceramic mug

Affidavit of Support

When sponsoring a family member or an individual seeking immigration benefits, you, as a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, need to provide an Affidavit of Support. This legal document is a key part of the sponsorship process and helps demonstrate your commitment to financially support the person you’re sponsoring.

Form I-864

To submit an Affidavit of Support, you must complete and submit Form I-864. This form serves as proof that you have the means to support the individual you’re sponsoring, ensuring they won’t become a public charge. By signing Form I-864, you’re entering into a legally binding contract with the U.S. government, acknowledging your financial responsibility for the person you’re sponsoring.

To qualify as a sponsor, you must meet certain criteria, such as:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident
  • Be age 18 or older
  • Have an income of at least 125% above the federal poverty guidelines
  • Have a U.S. domicile

Remember that your responsibility as a sponsor usually lasts until the person you’re sponsoring becomes a U.S. citizen or accumulates 40 quarters of work, which typically takes 10 years.

Joint Sponsors

If you don’t meet the income requirement to sponsor an individual, don’t worry – there is still a way. You can involve a joint sponsor, who can help you fulfill the financial commitment needed for the Affidavit of Support. The joint sponsor should:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident
  • Be age 18 or older
  • Meet the income requirement of at least 125% above the federal poverty guidelines
  • Have a U.S. domicile

Just like the main sponsor, the joint sponsor must submit a separate Form I-864 for the person being sponsored. By doing so, they also enter into a legally binding contract under Section 213A of the Immigration and Nationality Act and share the financial responsibility for the sponsored individual.

Providing an Affidavit of Support is a crucial step in the sponsorship process, showing your dedication to the well-being of the person you’re sponsoring. With proper documentation and a joint sponsor (if needed), you can confidently support your loved one on their immigration journey.

From above electronic calculator and notepad placed over United States dollar bills together with metallic pen for budget planning and calculation

Financial Requirements

When sponsoring a family member or friend for a green card, there are financial requirements you must meet to ensure they can be supported in the United States. This section covers the essentials on financial requirements, including income guidelines, assets, and resources.

Income Guidelines

As a sponsor, you’ll be required to meet certain income levels established by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Your income must be at least 100% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, though military sponsors have different requirements. These guidelines are updated periodically, so it’s important to verify the most current guidelines while filing Form I-864, Affidavit of Support.

Your household income plays a significant role in determining if you meet the sponsorship requirements. To calculate the number of people in your household, you must include yourself, your spouse or relative (the green card applicant), and any other dependents.

Assets and Resources

If your income does not meet the required guidelines, you may use assets and resources to supplement your income and prove your ability to support the green card applicant. Assets can include savings, stocks, bonds, property, and other types of financial resources. The total value of these assets should be at least five times the difference between your income and the poverty guideline for your household size. However, if you are a U.S. citizen sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the value of assets only needs to be three times the difference.

While determining your assets and resources, it’s crucial to provide ample documentation, such as bank statements, property documents, and investment records, to substantiate your claims.

By being mindful of these financial requirements and making sure you meet the necessary income guidelines and possess adequate assets, you can ensure a smoother sponsorship process for your loved ones. Good luck on your sponsorship journey!

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the eligibility criteria for a US citizen or permanent resident to sponsor someone?

To sponsor someone, you must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (green card holder). You should also be at least 18 years of age, and be able to prove your ability to financially support the person you are sponsoring. Your relationship to the individual you want to sponsor is another critical factor. Typically, you can sponsor close relatives such as spouses, children, parents, and siblings. In some situations, you could potentially sponsor more distant relatives or even friends [^1^].

What types of visas can a US citizen or permanent resident sponsor?

There are two primary family-based visa categories: Immediate Relative and Family Preference. Immediate Relative visas (IR) are designated for close relatives of U.S. citizens, such as spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents. There’s no limit to the number of IR visas issued each year [^2^].

Family Preference visas (F) are for more distant relatives of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents. The F visa categories have annual caps, and the number of visas issued each year is limited [^2^].

What are the income requirements for sponsoring an immigrant?

When sponsoring someone, you must prove your financial ability to support them. Typically, you’ll need to demonstrate an income equal to or greater than 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines [^3^]. This ensures that the person you sponsor won’t become a public charge. In certain situations, assets like savings or property can also help meet the income requirements.

How much does it cost to sponsor an immigrant?

The initial cost of sponsoring an immigrant mainly includes the filing fees for the relevant immigration forms. These fees can vary depending on the type of visa and specific circumstances. For example, the filing fee for an I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) is currently $535 [^4^]. Additional costs may include fees for immigration lawyers (if needed) and expenses related to medical examinations and document translations.

What is the process of sponsoring an immigrant for a green card?

Sponsoring an immigrant for a green card involves several steps. First, you need to file Form I-130, which establishes your relationship with the applicant [^5^]. Once approved, the applicant will need to file Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) or go through consular processing if they are outside the U.S.

Throughout the process, you’ll need to submit various supporting documents, including the affidavit of support, which is a legally enforceable contract that demonstrates your financial responsibility towards the sponsored individual [^6^].

Can a US citizen or permanent resident sponsor a non-family member?

Sponsoring a non-family member is generally more complicated and limited than sponsoring a family member. In most cases, sponsoring non-family members is limited to specific situations, such as employment-based sponsorship or refugee and asylee sponsorship. However, exceptional cases might exist where you can sponsor a non-family member, like an adoptive child or in some humanitarian cases [^7^]. It’s essential to consult with an immigration attorney for individualized advice in such situations.

Continue Reading

Continue Reading

Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to receive a free and confidential initial consultation.